Trusting God when things are going your way is one of the easiest things to do. It’s easy to trust God when everything is working out and falling in line with the vision and plans that you have. However, trusting God even when things don’t make sense is one of the hardest things to do. When it comes to matters of faith, The Bible calls us to be like infants, to trust God like babies trust their parents even when things don’t make sense to them.
Why should we trust God?
- He is sovereign: We should trust God because He has the power to do and undo. Our God is sovereign and most powerful. He made the world and everything within it. There’s no higher power than God and no god or person can compete with His power. This means God has the ability to do anything, including the power to change your situation and make a way for you when there seems to be no way. He’s too powerful to fail.
- He loves us: God loves us so much that He gave Himself. He loves us so much that He died for us. How much more do you think He would give us if He’s already made the ultimate sacrifice for us? We should trust God because we know He cares. In the midst of our struggles and our dark times, when things aren’t even making sense, know that God loves you. This means with God’s sovereignty and His love for you, He is there with you.
The Lord appeared to him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.Jeremiah 31:3
They will fight you, but they will fail. For I am with you, and I will take care of you. I the Lord have spoken.Jeremiah 1:19
- He has already planned the best path for us. God is the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2). He chose us, redeemed us and has kept us. He knew us before we were formed, which means that before we were fashioned in the womb, He already had a plan for us and His plans towards us are good. So if God has already planned everything and we know that He loves us and He is also all powerful, the wisest thing would be to trust God. Things may be hard, they may be painful and look dreadful, but in the midst of it all, the fact remains that God is sovereign, He loves us and He has a plan for us. It’s important to trust the God who had a plan for you even before you were born.
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.Jeremiah 1:5
- He’s not a man that He would lie. The Bible tells us that God wishes us health, prosperity, victory, progress, joy and all the good things that we could ever gain. Not trusting God means we’re calling Him a liar. It means we don’t believe what God has said to us and promised us. But that same word tells us that God doesn’t fail, so why wouldn’t we trust that? God has given us His word, and because God doesn’t lie, He is the only being that we can fully trust.
God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?Numbers 23:19
How can we trust God even when things don’t make sense?
- Ask the Holy Spirit to help you, because at the end of the day, it takes grace to trust. That’s one of the reasons that God gave us the Holy Spirit. He is our helper, so rest on the Holy Spirit and ask Him to help you trust in God.
- Search the word of God for strength. The word of God is full of so many scriptures showing the faithfulness and infallibility of God. In the word you find strength and revelation. So when you’re struggling with trusting God because things don’t make sense, go back to the word. The word will show you many times that God showed up and did the miraculous even when it didn’t make sense.
- Remind yourself of the times that God has pulled through. When you’re struggling with trusting God when things don’t make sense, think back on the times that God showed Himself in your life. Think back on the times that God has been good and kind to you. If you’re struggling with remembering, listen to the testimonies of others. There are testimonies on youtube, in blogs and even in church, listen to people talk about how God has been good to them. God’s power is limitless, if He did it before, He can do it again (Isaiah 37:26)
- Have a heart of thanksgiving. Thank God for even the simplest of things. Thank Him for life, for His love, for grace and all the other things that you know for a fact you didn’t give yourself. Because at the end of the day nothing we have was made by us, every single thing that we have was given to us by God, including the breath that we breathe.
I know it’s not easy to trust God when things are hard. It’s not natural to see what’s before you and disregard the dangers and the possible natural end result. However, our God doesn’t work within the regulations and rules of this world. He is above this world and can do all things. He also loves us deeply, so He sees our tears and cares. It’s easy to trust a sovereign God who loves us, especially when He’s shown His love for us.